H PYLORI HYDROGEN BREATH TEST
Patient Information and Instructions
You need to be scheduled to have a “Breath Test”. The purpose of the test is to confirm in the treatment to eradicate H Pylori (bacteria) from your stomach was successful.
The test will be performed at our office located at 28963 Little Mack, Suite 101, St. Clair Shores, MI 48081.
The test is very simple and it will take about 20 minutes. Following is the process:
- Exhale into a small plastic bag.
- Drink an 8oz glass of citrus flavored water.
- About 15 minutes later, exhale again into a plastic bag.
- The test is complete.
- Your GI Medicine Doctor will call you with the results and recommendations in a few days.
- Nothing to eat or drink at least one hour prior to the test.
- Test should be performed at least four weeks after you have completed your treatment to eradicate H Pylori.
- You should be off antibiotics for at least two weeks.
- You should be off PPIs (Zegrid, Prilosec (omeprazole), Prevacid, Aciphex, Protonix, Nexium) for at least two weeks.
- You should be off Pepto-Bismol or other Bismuth containing medication for at least two weeks.
- It is fine to take H2 blockers such as Zantac, Pepcid, Tagamet, etc.
- You do not need to bring a driver or companion the day of your appointment.
We perform these tests on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Please call our office at 586-447-0700 to schedule your appointment.